University of Pittsburgh
Payment Processing

What is a P-Card?
 A  P-Card is an institutional purchasing credit card designed to simplify and decentralize the process of procuring goods for your department.  The University's P-Cards are VISA credit cards administered through PNC Bank.

What can I buy with my P-Card?

The P-Card can be used to procure routine goods and services (*including airline tickets) for conducting business in your department.  The card is intended for purchases related to University business only. Use of the card for personal purchases is strictly prohibited. Additionally, the card can not be used to procure the following:

 Advertising services

 Hazardous materials




 Interdepartmental charges


 Motion Picture - Video Creation


 Radioactive materials

 Controlled substances


 Drugs, Prescriptions

 Testing laboratories

 Fuel, Gasoline

*Travel /Entertainment


 Vehicle rentals

 Gifts and contributions


* The P-Card can be used to purchase airline tickets through Travelocity or Expedia.  The card cannot be used to purchase airline tickets through any other agency.

There are other merchant categories that are not applicable to the University's day-to-day business affairs. Your transaction could be rejected at the point of sale if you attempt to purchase goods that are categorized with non-approved Merchant Category Codes (MCC). However, occasionally a supplier can be categorized with an incorrect MCC code. If this is an issue, contact the P-Card Administrator.

How do I report a lost or stolen P-Card?

It is very important to notify PNC Bank immediately when a cardholder or department administrator realizes a P-Card has been lost or stolen.  The toll-free phone number to call PNC Bank is 1-800-685-4039. This number is accessible 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  The bank will be able to stop activity immediately.   The P-Card Administrator must also be notified.

What should I do with my P-Card if I'm transferring to another department or leaving the University?

When a P-Card holder leaves the University or transfers to a new department, the following guidelines apply:

  • The P-Card is submitted to the department administrator.
  • The administrator completes a P-Card Change Request Form, to cancel the card, noting that the P-Card holder is transferring or terminating employment.
  • The department administrator destroys the card and forwards the P-Card Change Request Form to the P-Card Administrator.
  • No additional purchases against this P-Card are to be made.
  • For transfers, application for a P-Card within a new department can be made with the new department administrator’s approval. 



Copyright© 2003 - Financial Information Systems
Updated: 7/6/10


University of Pittsburgh Contact Us Pitt Main Search