University of Pittsburgh
Checklist to Determine Which Office to Approach for Assistance - Office of Research or Purchasing Services

Office of Research is a central department charged with administrative responsibility for all University research and related activities involving extramural sponsorship.  The areas supported by Office of Research staff include information services, project and proposal development assistance, and grants and contracts administration for pre-award and selected post-award tasks. All proposals submitted by University personnel must be transmitted to and reviewed by Office of Research staff to assure adherence to internal and external policies and procedures.  The Office of Research is responsible for assuring that proposals submitted for external funding and awards made to the University meet sponsor and University requirements.

Purchasing Services’ mission is to obtain the overall best value for purchases of goods and services University-wide; provide efficient, effective purchasing processes; assist departments in complying with federal, state and local laws; implement a system of sound internal controls, and monitor compliance; provide opportunities for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE’s), and; provide excellent customer service to the University community.  Purchasing Services analyzes departmental spending patterns to identify opportunities or savings and assists departments with specialized or complex purchases.



  • Do the requested services significantly contribute to the development of the science?
  • Are the requested services part of a collaborative research project with another institution of higher education?
  • Is a substantive portion of the research being transferred to the potential contractor?
  • Does the Notice of Award or award document providing funding have “flow down” provisions that must be applied to subcontracted goods or services?
  • Will the contractor conduct research involving human subjects or animals under this agreement?
  • Will the contractor conduct research involving rDNA or ionizing radiation under this agreement?
  • Will University materials or data be given to contractor for contractor to use for conduct of research under this agreement?


If you answered “yes” to any of the questions above thenMCj03226990000[1] you must contact the Office of Research at 412-624-7400 or the Grant or Contract Officer assigned to your department

( Please note that it is possible that after Office of Research review, agreements may then be referred to Purchasing Services for processing.

If you answered “no” to all of the questions above then gosignyou must contact Purchasing Services for all other purchases of goods, equipment and services, such as:

  • consulting services with companies or individuals
  • programming services
  • information management
  • website development
  • lab testing
  • computers
  • microscopes
  • major equipment
  • equipment loans
  • office and laboratory supplies

Contact Purchasing Services at 412-624-6648 or visit for the complete Guide to Purchasing for various types of goods and services.

Copyright© 2003 - Financial Information Systems
Updated: 02/12/2010


University of Pittsburgh Contact Us Pitt Main Search